14 November 2007

Enter Sandman, I have two pair of shoes.

Crossing Lines.

Happiness.
Sitting bare foot in the grass?
Homelessness.
Sitting bare foot on the sidewalk?
It’s a fine line.

Charity.
Buying someone a pair of shoes?
Sacrifice.
Giving someone your pair of shoes?
It’s a fine line.

What I've been thinking about since 12:50a this morning:

A while back, like 2 or 3 months ago, I was walking along 15th Ave on Capitol Hill here in Seattle and a man was sitting outside Wallgreens with a sign in his lap. The sign said he was looking for a pair of shoes or at least money for a pair of shoes. His had been retired from service. I didn't have any cash on me nor was there a store that sold shoes in the area, so I passed him by. I didn't feel guilty, I felt sad that I couldn't help.

Then last night I'm lying in bed and I had just finished reading a book where the author was discussing how 20% of the people hold 80% of the weath; I'd heard this before. But as I'm trying to fall asleep, the thought hits me: I have more than one pair of shoes; I have more than one jacket. What if I'm walking down the street and someone needs shoes, or needs a jacket. Would I be able to give them mine knowing full well I have another waiting for me at home. I was disappointed that I could not answer yes.

I went out walking today along the same street as I did 3 months ago. I was wearing my favorite jacket and my favorite pair of shoes. I got nervous. "I'm going to have to give one of them up aren't I," I thought. I didn't have to. But I thought about it. I thought, I could just buy whatever someone needs, but for some reason that didn't seem good enough. It wasn't a sacrifice.

I'm reminded of the story of the lady who gave her only two pennies outside the temple.
Luke 21: 1-4

While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box. Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins. “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”
So, I've been wrestling. Hoping that when an opportunity comes where I might give someone my shoes or jacket, that I'd be able to take it. Not because it would make a cool story, or because people would look at me as a charitable person, but because it's the right thing to do. I'd like to be able to cross that line between charity and sacrifice.

The content that usually has shown up on this thing will probably go up this weekend sometime. I've decided to take in a few more sessions before making another post. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

MiriamKay said...

I have often thought about this. Charity and Sacrifice... are both good? Is one appropriate when another isn't? Does the difference really reside in the heart of the giver? Just i few thoughts.