02 November 2007

Prophecy, an Intro (Or how I'll be spending most of my evenings for the next month and a half.)

My mailbox doesn’t have a door. Some kids with cherry bombs must have taken care of that before I moved in. As long as I know, it has always been open to the public. Anyone can put whatever they’d like in there and likewise take out whatever they please. Granted, it is still a federal crime to tamper with my mail, so don’t get any ideas.

Recently, via the U.S. post, a church in my neighborhood sent a flyer addressed to “resident” at my address advertizing a series of lectures about Bible prophecy that will be going on in the next couple of weeks. I have to say that my reaction when I first removed the parchment sporting a picture of Aslan, a four-headed cheetah, some dinosaur, a bear eating baby-back ribs, and a kid with a bad bowl cut (you think I’m kidding?) out of the mailbox was to ignore it, throw it out. But, it hung around until the evening.

Then my roommate and I got to discussing it. I proceeded to read out loud to him in a mocking, movie promoter-esc voice the descriptions of the different seminars. We had a good laugh. Then, I discovered the session that set me off. Using Bible mathematics to show (or prove, I cannot remember the exact wording) that Jesus existed, or exists if you will. Oh man, your mailing campaign flyer got sent to the wrong house buddy. Bible mathematics, what is Bible mathematics? I spent three years and upwards of $50,000 of my parents hard earned cash to learn all I could about mathematics, as well as two years and upwards of $10,000, again of my parents money, to study the Bible, and I’d never come across a subject that combined the two.

I was officially ready to hike up to the church, bring my calculator, and bust out my skepticism every day they planned on convening. And that’s how I went to bed that Monday evening. However, Tuesday I had what we’ll call a revelation, but it’s not really a revelation in the real sense, but really something that should have been in my mind immediately upon reading the flyer rather than after a troubling night’s sleep. These people are a part of the body of Christ, the church, whether I like it or not. Crap! That means I have to love them.

“If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” 1 John 4: 20-21

So, now I felt guilty. I was guilty. These people sending out flyers, talking about prophecy in a light and a manner which I most likely disagree with are my brothers and sisters. But, how am I supposed to love them?

That’s the question I wish to answer by attending as many of these prophecy lectures as I possibly can. I’ll still be the skeptic that I am, I’ll still have my calculator handy come math night, and I’ll still be willing to disagree as well as agree if need be, but primarily I’ll be looking for ways in which I can love my brothers and sisters. Even though our differing in approaches of engaging the culture makes us more like distant third cousins.

I intend on keeping records of my triumphs and struggles here as this takes place. So, stay tuned. If anyone would like to join me in any of the sessions, they take place in the evenings throughout the coming weeks with a big kick-off this weekend. Just let me know via any communication line you feel appropriate to our relationship and I’ll give you the details.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

bible math to prove Jesus existed? maybe they can then use science to prove the earth is only 6000 years old? i think the best way to combat this stuff is through what you're talking about - criticism from within. anyone who comes in and immediately disagrees - no matter how much common sense they have - will automatically be ignored. you have to demonstrate that rational christians don't have to resort to math tricks and "science" to justify their faith.